Due to being rained off on our last day, a small team of us decided to go out and finish off some things on Bank Holiday Monday. Many thanks to Pauline, Judith, Ruth, Dave and Jim for turning out to do “just one more grid.” I think it must be a geophysicists ailment that we always would like to be able to just a little bit more…
The mag team completed an impressive ten grids including two awkward partials. Figure 1 shows the entire survey at the end of the 2018 season.
The team have managed to add 19 ha to the survey in the last month. Figure 2 shows the southern area that we have been surveying this week. (This field is, confusingly, called “Prae Wood”.)
The team have picked-up an area of intense ferrous noise. This looks like a small historic period site. We will have to check out some old maps to see if we can work out what that might be. The one hiccup in a brilliant last day of work is a single line of data where the sensor froze. It is very annoying and I’ll have to find some way of fudging that until next summer!
The Earth Resistance survey had one last little block left to make the plot look all neat and tidy. Many thanks to Pauline and Judith for helping me fill that in (Figures 3 and 4)!
The data collected shows some faint indications of buildings in that corner (Figure 5).
Although my trick of spreading the remote probes wide apart has worked on the whole, this year there is a bit of an edge. This is because we started with a block in the SW corner, worked eastwards, and then when we had got to the corner, worked back along the hedge line westwards. Between when we started this block and yesterday we have had in excess of 100mm of rain (or about 4 inches in old money) so it isn’t surprising this shows in the results.
We have now cleared away all the pegs and flags, packed-up the machines and left Gorhambury for another year. It is a beautiful place to work and we are very grateful to Lord and Lady Verulam and their family for allowing us to extend the survey, to those who work the estate and put up with us getting in the way, and to the estate managers, especially Stuart Gray. Thanks to the Institute of Archaeology, UCL, for lending us the dGPS and the res meter, and SEAHA for the loan of the GPR. I hope everyone involved thinks the results are worth all the effort. Most of all I would also like to thank all the volunteers who came this year, whether you only managed a day or two, or you came for the whole season. You are what makes this project so much fun!