… but may be it should have done! Last year, on the last day of the survey, it poured and we cancelled. Today, we thought “it is only a little drizzle!” On occasions, drizzle was more of a deluge. At one point I was about as far from the cars as it is possible to get when on site, and I got soaked. Thankfully, Ellen went and fetched a dry tee-shirt and my waterproof coat. Thank you Ellen, you’re a star!
Peter, one of our volunteers from SWHAS and WAS, has bought himself a UAV fitted with a camera. He has been having some practice flights over the workers and the site. When I have worked out how to edit the video down to a sane size, I’ll post one of those, but meanwhile here is one of the stills. The UAV will prove a very useful tool.
One of the main reasons we persisted in the rain was the fact that we are so very close to completing the mag survey of the Macellum field.
Here is a closer detail of today’s survey.
As can be seen, Watling Street has rejoined the drive. There appear to be many buildings opposite the theatre which isn’t a surprise in the heart of the town. Street 24, which runs NNE from the theatre, has the macellum on the east side of it. This building has been partially excavated and has a complex building history of five phases going from the mid-first century to the early fourth. It has an almost equally complex excavation history: it has been examined by Grove Lowe (1847), John Harris (1869), Kathleen Kenyon (1934) and finally by Miss K. M. Richardson in 1938.
The resistance survey continued. The wet surface was both a boon and a problem. The first two grid squares went very smoothly. Then we moved all the probes and so forth and the machine started to play-up. After lunch, Peter came to the rescue and worked out that there was water where it oughtn’t to be, cleaned and dried connections and so forth, and all was well again. We managed another three grids including one in 35 minutes. Here is the survey.
In the first of the two images, I have not “edge matched” the grids so that you can see the ones which are a problem. Three of the grids we did today fixed existing problems. Although we had not planned to work tomorrow, I am hoping we might manage five more squares to fix the problems and give us a nice tidy survey. Archaeological geophysicists are obsessed by “nice tidy surveys.”
Comparing the mag and the resistance surveys, the end of the “sinuous ditch”, seen snaking in from the top of the mag survey, can be seen in the resistance survey but it seems to continue further to the east. The clear building on the northern edge of the resistance plot also shows pretty well in the mag survey.
Lastly, we learnt one lesson today. The GPR doesn’t work well in the rain! We surveyed a block near the rectangular enclosure I thought might be a temple. Here is the mag:
Speculation has been rife as to what this may be, so we tried using the GPR.
The terrible striping is caused by the rain. We will have to re-do this block another year. We can see, however, a square in the centre of the block, and almost another square around it. Before we get too excited, however, comparison of the two surveys shows that the squares in the GPR data lie outside the NNE edge of the enclosure, and in fact, partly show as light white lines in the mag data. Yet another question to be investigated more fully next year.
Many thanks to everyone who suffered the rain today. You are all stars.
Tomorrow will be our last day. I won’t post the results until Tuesday, however, as we are going for a celebration meal in a local pub.